Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Day at the Beach

As I walked along the oceans edge I watched as the tide crashed relentlessly onto the shore. Wave after wave the tide seemed to gain strength in its attempt to over take the earth. The foamy water pushed over the white sand, leaving small indentations and ripples as it receded to unite with another wave and repeat its continuous effort to reach its destination.

This made me consider the spirit of humankind and its attempts at reaching the pinnacle of existence, which I consider to be unconditional tolerance of different societies, races, and religions. What some call a God like love or Agape. To find the ability to embrace our similarities rather than our differences, to strive for world peace, and find a renewed respect for the Earth that we call home. How wonderful it would be if that spirit as a whole were as relentless as the tide, with each individual spirit likened to each wave, renewing its effort continually and uniting with others until the destination was reached.


Then I remembered the indentations and ripples that each wave left on the shoreline. Each wave impressing its mark upon the Earth and no two were the same. It was then that I realized that like the tide, each of us has been given an opportunity to leave our mark on this world. At times our efforts may seem futile, but if we press on we can reshape the spirit of humankind just as the tide has shaped and reshaped the shoreline.

I turned to leave as the evening sun began to set on the horizon, its brilliant colors reflecting off of the water, marking the end of another day. It is my plea that when the sun sets on my time on this earth that my indentations and ripples have left a positive mark.

Namaste,JAH

No comments:

Post a Comment